Animal Health Certificates

Travel with your pet

In January 2021 (after Brexit) the way in which we travel with our pets in Europe changed. The UK Pet Passports that had been used previously became null and void. These were replaced with a new single use document known as an Animal Health Certificate (AHC), which must be completed and signed by an Official Veterinarian within 10 days of travel to the European Union (EU).

At The Animal House, we currently have three Official Veterinarians (OVs) as part of our veterinary team. We are therefore able to provide the necessary advice and documentation for you to travel with your pets to the EU. 

Please read the guidance below if you are planning any travel to the EU. Feel free to contact our team for any further information regarding your specific travel requirements and the associated costs. 

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland from Great Britain, your pet cat, dog or ferret needs: 

- A microchip:

  • Your pet needs to be microchipped before, or at the same time as, their rabies vaccination.
  • The microchip will be checked, to ensure it is working, prior to the rabies vaccination or any paperwork being issued.

- A valid rabies vaccination:

  • Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies before it can travel to the EU or Northern Ireland.  
  • Your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before they can have their vaccination. 
  • The rabies vaccination cannot be given within 2 weeks of other vaccinations.   
  • You need to wait 21 days to travel after your pet is vaccinated. Day 1 is the day after the rabies vaccination. NB: You do not need to wait to travel after a booster vaccination if there has been no break in the vaccine cover.   
  • The vaccine we currently use lasts for 3 years before a booster vaccination is required. 

- An Animal Health Certificate:

  • This document is valid after the date of issue for: 10 days for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland; 4 months for onward travel within the EU; and 4 months for re-entry to Great Britain 
  • An AHC must be completed and signed by an OV. 
  • A single AHC can be used for up to five pets.  
  • These documents take a long time to prepare, so please ensure you plan appropriately and give us plenty of notice.   
  • Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

- Tapeworm treatment:

  • If you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta a vet will need to treat your pet for tapeworms no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before you arrive in the destination country.
  • When returning to Great Britain, tapeworm treatment must be administered by an approved vet no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before entering Great Britain.

In addition, please also check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel. 

When you book your AHC appointment, please download the form below which we request be completed and returned in advance of your appointment to give our OV team the opportunity to prepare and flag any concerns that may arise. The form can be returned directly to the practice as a hard copy or alternatively feel free to email an electronic copy to 

AHC Questionnaire (PDF)

Please note that failure to attend an appointment for an AHC with less than 24 hours notice will incur a £100 cancellation fee due to the preparatory work that our OVs are required to do prior to the actual appointment.